Fit Families Events in Apache Junction
Back in 2010, the City of Apache Junction created a program that would educate families on diet and exercise and would show them how to create healthy habits as a family. This program would help Apache Junction become the healthiest and happiest community in the state of Arizona. Through the city’s parks and recreation department and the Apache Junction Multi-Generational Center (MGC), Fit Families hosts events and activities on various Fridays and Saturdays that all members of the family are able to attend.
Each month there will be a FREE themed event for families to attend. Each event promotes being physically active and incorporates an educational component on nutrition and the importance of families recreating together. These events are open to the public and include games, fitness activities, projects and healthy snacks and meals. The added benefit is that families spend time together during these activities, which builds healthier communities.
On top of the monthly events, the Fit Families program offers other courses designed to promote health and nutrition in kids and teenagers, such as:
- Girls on the Run. Open to all 3rd-6th grade girls, the Girls on the Run program incorporates training for a 5k with self-esteem development.
- Girls on the Track. Similar to Girls on the Run, Girls on the Track is open to 6th-8th grade girls and involves training for a 5K walk/run while incorporating skills to help them make empowering decisions.
- Teen Weights. Teen Weight Training is for 13-15 year olds interested in learning how to properly use weights, learn weight room etiquette, design a fitness program and learn proper nutrition.
- Kids Zumba. All children ages 5-14 are invited to participate (parents can come, too) in the dance-fitness craze. Zumba classes feature age appropriate music designed to get kids up and moving.
- Youth Fitness Classes. For a full schedule of fitness classes offered,click on the Fit Families calendar at http://www.ajcity.net.